Pomerene Hospital Blog
Taking the Sting out of a Sunburn
The American Academy of Dermatology (2020) recommends these 6 tips for treating a sunburn:
- Take frequent cool baths or showers to ease the pain
- Use a moisturizer that includes aloe-Vera to help sooth sunburned skin.
- Consider taking ibuprofen to help decrease swelling, redness and discomfort.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration
- If your skin blisters, let the blisters heal. Do not pop the blisters, as they will help protect your skin heal and protect you from infection.
- Protect sunburned skin while it heals by wearing clothes that cover skin when in the sun.
Remember that a result of skin getting too much exposure from the sun’s ultraviolet rays can affect long-lasting harm to the skin and increase your risk for getting skin cancer.