A Renal Scan with Captopril is an exam that measures that function of the kidneys.
What to Expect
- A Renal Scan requires a small injection of radioactive tracer through a vein.
- There are two parts to this exam: the first involves an injection and then a baseline picture is taken of the kidneys.
- The patient is then given a medication that dilates the vessels.
- After monitoring the patient and taking blood pressure every 15 minutes for 1 hour, the patient is given another injection and more pictures are taken.
- The entire test takes approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- The patient should have nothing to eat 4 hours prior to the test and should be well hydrated.