Renal Artery Ultrasound
Common Reasons For Testing
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Monitoring of known renal artery stenosis
What to Expect
- This test uses Doppler ultrasound and is done to detect if there is any blockage of the arteries leading to the kidneys.
- All testing is performed by a Registered Vascular or Cardiac Sonographer.
- Gel is placed on the abdomen and a transducer is used to look at the kidney and the arteries providing blood supply to it.
- Exam time: 45-60 minutes.
- The patient should be fasting after midnight.
- Early morning appointments are preferred
- Regular medication can be taken with a small amount of water.