Pomerene Hospital Blog
Keep Your Heart Healthy
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. The term "heart disease" refers to several types of heart conditions, the most common being coronary artery disease (CAD) and can cause a heart attack. Heart disease occurs when a substance called plaque builds up in your arteries. This narrows them over time and reduces blood flow and oxygen to the heart, causing the heart to become sick. Heart disease can be prevented by identifying risks and eliminating them from your life.
Here are some ways you can decrease your risk for developing heart disease:
- Don't smoke or quit if you do
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat a healthy diet low in fat
- Exercise regularly
- Prevent or treat your other healthy conditions, especially high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes
- Learn to manage your stress in a healthy way. Stress can be very damaging to the heart.
A life style change is easier to maintain if you do it with our family or friends. Do it together and keep each other accountable. Your health is the best gift you could give your loved ones!