Pomerene Hospital Blog
Grocery Shopping During the Pandemic
What is the safest way to grocery shop during the pandemic? And what should you do when you get your groceries home? Here are some tips offered from the Food and Drug Administration [FDA], (2020):
- Make a list before your trip to the grocery story. Only buy what you need for 1-2 weeks.
- Wipe down and sanitize the handles of the shopping cart.
- Practice social distancing while shopping – keeping at least 6 feet between you, other shoppers, and store employees.
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer when you leave the store and after you put your groceries away at home
Below are a few more tips that recommended to help in preventing foodborne illnesses, not just during the pandemic but always:
- Before eating, rinse fresh fruits and vegetables with running water.
- Make sure your perishable groceries are refrigerated or frozen within 2 hours of purchasing.
- Clean and sanitize your counters with a disinfectant product.
- Remember to follow the 4 food safety steps-Clean, Separate, Cook, and Chill
We encourage you to follow this advice to remain safe while you are shopping!
Author: Fran Lauriha, CNO Pomerene Hospital