A Liver/Spleen Scan evaluates suspected hepatomegaly or hepatocellular diseases. It can also detect lesions such as hemongiomas and hepatic adenoma.
What to Expect
- A Liver/Spleen Scan requires a small injection of a radioactive tracer through a vein.
- After the injection, the patient needs to sit for 20 minutes before pictures are taken.
- The patient will then come back in and be situated under the camera where several pictures of the liver and spleen will be taken.
- This test can take 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- The patient should not have a barium study 3-5 days before the exam.