What to Expect
- Exam will take approximately one hour
- You will need to change into a gown and remove any metallic objects.
- The radiologist will rectally introducing barium sulfate or gastrografin to coat the colon.
- The radiologist will then put air into the colon with the barium mixture.
- While turning on the table, the radiologist will take several pictures and the technologist with follow up with several pictures.
- When completely finished, the barium will be drained
- Your test will be interpreted by a board certified radiologist
- The results of your test will be faxed to your ordering provider.
- Clear liquid diet at lunch the day before your test
- At 6:00 pm, drink the entire bottle of Magnesium Citrate Oral Solution along with a full glass (8 oz) of liquid. (This is purchased from a pharmacy)
- Purchasing a cleansing enema kit from the pharmacy: The evening before the test, you must have two (2) tap water enemas(not a fleet enema).
- Do not eat or drink after midnight.
- In the morning of the test: Have at least one (1) tap water enema. Additional enemas may be necessary until clear. (Not to exceed 3)