Maintenance of Wakefulness Test
The Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT) is used to measure how alert you are during the day. It shows whether or not you are able to stay awake for a defined period of time.
What to Expect
- The MWT study is taken right after you do an overnight sleep study.
- Your sleep room will consist of a comfortable queen size bed with a TV and private restroom and shower.
- Your brain waves, heart rhythm, and body movements will be recorded.
- Your sleep activities will be monitored by a sleep technician in a separate control area.
- The sleep technician will be available to assist you with any needs you may have.
- Your sleep test will be interpreted by a board certified sleep medicine physician.
- The results of your sleep test will be forwarded to your ordering physician.
- Bathe and shampoo hair prior to arrival at center.
- Consumption of alcohol, caffeine, and nonprescription drugs should be avoided.
- Take usual prescription medications EXCEPT sleep medication unless directed by your physician to do so.
- You may bring over the counter medication such as Tylenol.
- Avoid napping.
- Eat an evening meal.
- Smoking will not be allowed.
- Family members CANNOT remain in the resting area UNLESS they are accompanying a minor undergoing sleep testing.
- Bring a list of your medications.
- Bring loose fitting pajamas (robe and slippers are also recommended)
- Bring personal hygiene items.
Hours of Operation
- Sunday-Thursday from 9:00 pm to 6:00 am.
- To schedule an appointment, please call (330) 674-1584 extension 6735